Long holidays from school can get boring after a while. Being cooped-up and wasting time is of no use. If you have ample free time on your hands, you can invest it learning and exploring new things that will help you in building and shaping your future. Here are some of the subjects or fields that you can delve into for knowledge or even for deciding your career path.
- English Grammar and Language: Often while writing, you must have gotten confused whether to use your or you’re, its or it’s and so on. Quick and Dirty Tips by Grammar Girl is an interesting website where you can visit and clear all your doubts regarding English grammar and language learning. You can access lessons in the form of blog posts, podcasts and even videos (on YouTube).
- Computer Science: If you are interested in learning more about computer science and programming, you can pursue a free online course available created by the Harvard University. It is made available on edx, where you can explore more such courses.
- Food and Health: Food is our basic necessity and our diet determines our health and longevity. Thus, it is important for us to know that the food we are consuming affects us in what ways. The knowledge of nutrition, food safety and food science will be helpful in this. You can take a course on food and health which is prepared by the Stanford University, USA, and is made available on online learning website Coursera.
- Justice: If you have strong belief in the legal system and are willing to learn more about it, you can take up a course on justice, prepared by the Harvard University, and made available on edx. Through this course you can learn the basics of judicial system, criminal and social justice. It will also enable you to develop intelligent views on the socio-legal cases of modern times and see them from the legal point of view.
- Animation: For the creative ones amongst you who want to try their hands at animation and character designing, there is an excellent free animation course on Khan Academy. It deals with the nitty-gritty of steps involved in making animation movies. After completing this course, perhaps you could make a short animation movie on your life!
- Robotics: Robots run almost all the industries nowadays. They can be of any size and can perform any defined function. If you are someone who is curious about how they are made and maybe willing to create a robot of your own, you can join the 6-week robotics course on Future Learn. The modules are so designed that they cover everything from teaching history of robotics to commanding a robot on our own. Interest in the subject is all you need to begin learning this course.
- Natural Resources and Sustainable Development: It is our duty to conserve our environment and natural resources. If you are driven by the love for nature and are willing to learn more about its importance and conservation, you can register for a course in Environment natural resources and sustainable development on Swayam. It is an online learning portal created by the Government of India and it hosts scores of free online courses for learners of all age groups.
By now you must have decided on your favourite course to study. So, go on, get started and let us know about your learning experience on ________________.( Fill Up this space and Leave us a comment)